The LeMoyne Star is a traditional block. There are a lot of tutorials out there, so I won’t repeat it. (Here’s one tutorial for an easy reference.)
For mine, I cut 2 inch squares. Sewed these into half-square triangles and trimmed them to 1.5 inches.
My blocks finish at 4.5 inches. These small blocks are starting to grow on me.
Now on to the Stars!
This is the first quilting block I ever sewed together and I thought it would be nice to include it.
This block is made up of half-square triangles (HST) and squares. I started out with the HSTs – 2 green 3 inch squares and 2 white 3 inch squares. I drew a line from corner to corner on the back of the white squares, placed a green and white square right sides together, and sewed a quarter inch to either side of the line. Then I cut in half along the line and pressed the seam to the dark fabric. I then trimmed the block to 2.5 in square.
Lay out your block – sew squares into rows, then the rows together.
Two helpful hints:
- When pressing the rows I like to press the middle row towards the center block. The top and bottom rows I press away from the center. This way the seams can be nested.
- Pin when sewing the rows together! It looks wonderful when the seams all line up.
I did two more friendship blocks experimenting with the size.
HST squares at 2.5 and 2, trimmed down to 2 and 1.5 squares.
Finished blocks are 6.5, 5, and 3.5 inches.
I’ve been avoiding this trippy tree for awhile, mostly because I wasn’t sure how to cut the triangles. But then I had an idea today – why not paper-piece it.
So I sat down and drew this.
This does not include seam allowances so I made sure to allow extra fabric as I was sewing. If you’re new to paper-piecing, I like Ellison Lane’s Paper Piecing for Beginner’s video tutorial.
It turned out well, but when I put it with the rest of the trees…
I didn’t like how small it was. So I added a top to it. Then squared it off.
The only other thing I would change would be to make the tree narrower so I could use scraps instead of fat quarters. (Or maybe I just need bigger scraps.)
I used all the scraps I had accumulated so far; sewing what I could into mini strip sets, subcutting and figuring out a layout.
I used the equilateral triangle on my cutting map as a guide for size – adding a little more to the bottom rows and making sure it was tall enough
I then trimmed down the fabric to a triangle that was just over 9 inches tall. I cut a 10 inch square in half from corner to corner and sewed the 2 triangles to either side of the tree. I realized after the first side that I needed to align the triangle to the bottom corner of the tree, instead of centering it. Bah! So i had to mend the first corner.
Now for the last tree…
I took my basic idea from Play Craft’s Broken Herringbone tutorial.
I simplified it to one 2.5 inches wide green strip with a 1 inch wide red strip. Then as the block grew I added 3 inches wide white strip to the ends at a 45 degree angle.
This turned out a little more abstract than I had envisioned, but it is growing on me. I think this is because of the 45 degree angle with the white. I think had I just sewn it without the angle it would have turned out more tree like.