I’ve completed the top for my Marsala challenge quilt. You can see my design and fabric pull here and pattern creation part one here. I finished the center of the quilt… …and then got down to figuring out the rest of the construction. As I said in my previous post, I was unsure of how to do the math. So the rest of this post is my how-to. I used the 90 degree angle markings on my cutting mat. Lined up the block so the center seam was in the middle and there was about a half-inch between the center block and the 90 degree line (see arrow). Then I measured how long the side needed to be, 18.5 inches. I added an inch for good measure. I’d rather be too big than half an inch too short. This is when I realized I wasn’t making an HST (half-square triangle) rather a QST (quarter-square triangle). I learn something with every quilt I make. I feel like this one is a basic and I’m not sure how I missed it. Or maybe I just really like HSTs.
I laid out my quilt, aligning the seams. I knew that upper, right-hand corner would involve a little more work. I trimmed the lighter portion of the QST and used the trimmed portion to lengthen the block. Then cut another light background 90 degree triangle to fill out the corner. Like so: Next came the trimming, so everything was square. Finally, I added a border along 2 sides (top and right). I’ve started to think about the back. I love pieced backs. I have some left-over HRTs and think I’ll make some more. I’ve also been trying to think of a name for this quilt – “Wine-ing Down” is all I can think of right now. I might need to sit down with a thesaurus to get some more ideas.
I’ll post pictures once everything is finished.