Stars is a QDAD design I did in December 2014. (Yes, it’s taken me a year to actually make it.)
It is a combination of machine piecing and raw-edge machine applique. This quilt is a part of my exploration of applique. I love how fast this type of applique is. It only took a few sewing days to put the top together. Now I just need to use this quilt and wash it a few times to see how durable raw-edge applique is.
I had to cut down my original triangles so everything would fit on the amount of background fabric I had. I used Pellon Wonder Under to fuse the pieced triangles to the background fabric.
I decided to machine applique all three layers. I think next time I use this technique, I’ll applique the shapes to the background fabric first, then doing the normal quilt sandwich.
For the back used left-over fabric to create striped piece in the middle, then surrounded it with all the cheddar yellow fabrics I could find in my stash.
Can I just gush for a moment?
I love this quilt! So much time and work went into this one. I felt like I really pushed myself learning new techniques and I am thrilled with the finished quilt. Plus, it’s a lovely non-traditional medallion quilt.
Onto specifics. The pattern is While the Cat’s Away by Wendy Williams. I did this as part of a Block of the Month (BOM) club through Material Obssession in Australia. I loved spending time absorbing the color and pattern mixtures the Material Obsession team put together for this BOM. It’s a mixture of machine piecing and wool hand applique. Page Johnson quilted it for me. She did a wonderful job (and smoothed out some of my rough areas. Thank you, Page!).
This year I was focusing on applique. It’s not a technique I had used much and I wanted to change that. This pattern used a lot of wool, hand applique. Can I tell you how slow I was when I started?! I was consistently behind the pace. I could machine piece the blocks in a couple of hours. But it took me 2 months of at least an hour a day to hand applique the blocks. Slowly, I got used to the stitches and increased my speed. By the last month I was caught up and finished the final block within that month.
Other challenges with this quilt. The first of the 4 sunbursts blocks almost did me in. I did not understand the instructions and went back multiple times to cut the circle correctly. I finally got the right size so I could sew the inset circle.
I also learned how to do y-seams. I am far from proficient on these. But as long as I take my time, they turn out well.
For the back, I used some of the leftover fabric along with Carolyn Friedlander’s tangerine crosshatch from her Architextures line.
Look at that quilting! I was very nervous and unsure of how to quilt this myself. I’m so glad I decided to send it to a long-armer.
My two favorite Quilt Design a Day (QDAD) designs from November:
I love the center created by these fish. I did a subsequent design focusing on the center.
School, 11 November QDAD design
Inspired by a picture of cranberries. I smile every time I see this design. I think my favorite part is all the background shapes created.
Cranberry Stars, 27 November QDAD design
My two least successful designs from November:
I like the idea of a pickle dish design, but I don’t like the outlines.
Coffee Swirls, 3 November QDAD design
Again, I’m not fond of the outlines. I wonder if it would help if I changed the gray to black.
Bricked, 10 November QDAD design
Taking photos from my everyday life and finding design inspiration in them. Inspired by my participation in the Quilt Design A Day (QDAD) group on Facebook.
November’s inspiration is this unit insignia.
My first design I wanted to explore combining circle and hexagons. It’s not a common combination in quilting.
The second design I focused on the banner, but simplified the shape.
For my final design I wanted to do something with the octopus arms. I came up with wedges leading to a center shape. Then I played around with overlap and tiling.